Lowering your stress can improve your quality of life and decrease your pain. Follow these recommendations
- Exercise regularly.
- Breathe deeply and exhale slowly.
- Drink decaffeinated coffee and avoid energy drinks.
- Pace yourself and don't be afraid to say no.
- Keep your bedroom dark and quiet when you go to sleep. Window shades and a sound machine may help.
- Place relaxing photos at your work desk and computer screen including photos of loved ones.
- Design a work schedule that benefits you and your employer.
- Set aside time for you to enjoy hobbies.
- Take a warm bath or a hot shower before and after work.
- Communicate with your doctor and your loved ones.
Jose Veliz MD is the medical director of Palomar Spine & Pain, in Escondido, CA (North San Diego County).